West Adelaide Hellas Soccer Club
The West Adelaide Soccer Club can reflect on an extraordinary fine history. The roots of the club date back to 1945. However, when the club was re-constituted in 1961 and took on the familiar and famous blue and white stripes, it was at that point that the club came into its own. From 1961 to 1977, the club achieved enormous success at state level and was crowned unofficial Australian Champions in the late 1960’s. In 1977, it was successful in gaining inclusion to the newly formed National Soccer League and in 1978 West Adelaide became the official Australian Champions where they drew with Adelaide City in the last game of the season at Hindmarsh Stadium in front of 16,251 fans to take out the national crown. The club exited the NSL in 1999 and it wasn’t until 2008 that the club became part of the local soccer scene once more. Beginning in the 3rd division in 2008, the club has grown to now be top of the National Premier league, the elite league in State. It has 3 senior teams, 300 juniors playing in 24 teams in the Junior Premier League, 4 women’s teams in NPL women’s competition and 3 teams in the Sunday amateur league where the club plays as West Adelaide Raptors. The West Adelaide family continues to grow.